Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 Review - also, tattoos are permanent, sweetie.

There is one more day left in 2011. I have a lot of FB friends posting about how 2012 is going to be "their year!!!!!" and good things are coming and blah blah blah. What I know for sure is you only have this very second to live. January 1, 2012 isn't guaranteed to any of us and why wait until Sunday to begin your best life ever? Start now.
My 2011 fairly consisted of a beautiful love story carried over from it's unlikely beginning in 2010. This year my kids have continued to grow and remain healthy. They're not perfect, but then, I'm not nearly the perfect mom. My bar is set lower than most, probably. My wish is that they carry over tomorrow what they're practicing today and that they continue their forward progress. My best hope is that they make decent enough choices to see them into a productive and self-reliant adulthood with minimal stresses and heartbreaks. I would call that a Success.

This year also opened up new internal doors for me. While I've largely been content being a secretary, I suddenly decided it wasn't good enough any more. Enrolling in university (online) has given me a new avenue in terms of my brain capacity and possible future educational, professional and economic opportunities. I plan to maximize every.single.resource. available to get to where I'm meant to go.

My extended family has made some interesting life changes this year. My exhusband went from homeless to having a roommate. Last I heard, he was on the road to being homeless again. Part of me wishes there was some miracle that would get his mind right. Part of me doesn't care. The stepkids have gone in completely different directions. My stepson is still in the Marine Corps and he seems to be doing well. My stepdaughter...well. She is still jobless and living with some dude and 4 other people in a one-bedroom apartment. It's unfortunate, but there's little I can do to get her to see where's she's headed. Let's face it, she's been doing the same thing for about 2 years and she's in the same spot: nowhere. On the plus side, she did get a new tattoo. It's a "peace sign" with a butterfly on it. Except....not really. Even my nine year old daughter said, "wait...


.....isn't that a Mercedes sign?" FML.

My resolution for 2012 is to just keep doing what I'm doing today. Your only opportunity to be great is TODAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment